Baklava Rolls – Burma BaklavaJanuary 20, 2024
Sprouted Beans with PeppersFebruary 10, 2024
For those of you who think most Turkish desserts are too sweet, here’s something fruity and light. It is a heavenly treat, so close your eyes and pop one of these cream filled apricots in your mouth and enjoy! This recipe comes to me from my dear friend Uğur, who has been inspiring me with her cooking as well as the way she presents her food and how she has been getting our community together around her table for many, many years.
- ½ lbs dried apricots
- 6 cups of warm water for soaking
- 1 cups sugar
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 oz breakfast cream
- 4 Tablespoons of ground pistachio meat for garnish (optional)
- A few sprigs of fresh mint for garnish (optional)
- Place apricots in a medium size bowl. Add warm water and let it soak for about 24 hours.
- Drain the apricots and place them in a medium sized pot. Add the sugar, 3 table spoons of water and the lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat, gently stirring to make sure the sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to medium low and let it simmer until the apricots are soft and the syrup thickens, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the heat, let it cool to room temperature before you start filling them with cream.
- When the apricots are cooled, take one and gently open on one end using a small knife if necessary. Using a small tea spoon, add cream into the apricot, gently close the two sides. Do not overfill, but you should be able to see the cream like a tiny apricot sandwich with cream filling.
- Place filled apricots on a serving plate with open sides up.
- Drizzle some of the syrup to give it a glazed look.
- Sprinkle with ground pistachios (optional)
- Garnish with sprigs of mint (optional)
- You can use sun dried, dark brown apricots if you like. They are not treated with sulfites, thus they don’t maintain the golden apricot color. Yellow ones have sulfites, however, soaking them in warm water removes most of it.
- These can be frozen. When ready to use, thaw them in the refrigerator for a day.