A delightfully light and slightly tangy zucchini dish that one can serve as a side dish or a salad. This is from the western part of Turkey with its origins in the Island of Crete. It is commonly called ” Girit Usulü Kabak Sıyırma”, translates as Crete Style Zucchini Shavings. It could be served as a side dish or a salad. As a side note, the recipe calls for green onions, but, I have tried it with regular onions too and it was fine. Any kind of zucchini can be used.
• ½ cup jasmine rice
• 1 cup boiling water
• 3 medium size zucchini (about 1 lb.)
• 1/2 cup olive oil, divided (1/4 + 1/4)
• 6 green onions, thinly sliced
• 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
• Juice of 1 lemon
• Salt & pepper to taste
• ½ cup fresh dill, finely chopped, divided
• A few sprigs of fresh mint for garnish
1. Place rice in a small bowl. Pour boiling water over it, let it soak for about 5-10 minutes.
2. Wash zucchini, cut the ends. Using the peeler or a mandolin, cut the zucchini lengthwise in thin, ribbon like strips. Place the zucchini in a medium size bowl, sprinkle with salt.
3. Strain the rice using a fine mesh sieve, set aside.
4. Place 1/4 cup olive oil in a pot, heat it. Add onions, garlic and rice. Sauté them over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
5. Add ¾ cup water to the pot, cover and let it simmer for a few minutes (3-4 minutes).
6. Add the zucchini, lemon juice, ½ of the dill, salt and pepper. Gently stir all ingredients.
7. Add ½ cup boiling water, close the lid and bring to a boil at medium heat.
8. Reduce heat to low and let it simmer until zucchini and rice are cooked.
9. Transfer to a serving plate.
10. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the zucchini.
11. Sprinkle with the remaining chopped fresh dill, garnish with a few sprigs of mint leaves (optional). Serve at room temperature.
Afiyet Olsun! Bon Appetit!