You can use any kind of eggplants for this dish, but I usually buy long Chinese/Japanese type eggplants since they have less seeds in them. Also, it is customary to add a teaspoon of sugar to most of the olive oil based dishes in Turkey, I leave it as “optional” depending on your taste.
- 1 lb ( 3 )long eggplants (Chinese or Japanese type)
- 1 bell pepper or 1 cup frozen cut bellpeppers. Sometimes I use frozen peppers that come in 3 different colors. This adds a nice color to the dish.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 table spoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
- ½ cup boiling water
- Salt to taste